true care, truth brings..."
So begins a song by Blink 182 that I hear every time I think of the phrase "small things"... Other "small things" quotes, poems, etc.:
Make the mighty ocean and the beauteous land.
From the tiny acorn grows the mighty oak.
We can do no great things,
only small things with great love.
There are many, many more, but that's enough to start with today... Why am I discussing small things?
As we move into the holiday season we are bombarded with - and possibly overwhelmed by - ad campaigns and commercials and store displays that try to make us believe that our holiday must include the most elaborate decorations, the most extravagant gifts, the most sumptuous dinners, the most over-the-top parties, etc.
I don't know about you, but when I take my trips down memory lane none of my memories are tied to "bigger, better" anything! Here are some standouts for me:
- Looking out my window at the Christmas lights reflected in the wet street (rain is Christmas weather in southern California, where I grew up)
- The smell of bayberry candles and balsam Christmas trees
- Swedish spritz cookies that my mother made with a cookie press and that we decorated with tiny red icing bows and silver dragees
- Driving around town in the family station wagon to look at the Christmas lights
- Going to the Christmas tree lot run by my brother's Boy Scout troop and watching them flock the trees in a big tent
- The row of ornaments my mother hung from tinsel garland in the front windows of our family room
- My mother playing piano while we sang Christmas carols
- Opening our one gift (new pajamas) on Christmas Eve - the rest were for Christmas morning
Do you remember the decorations at the parties you went to, or what was on the menu? Or do you remember the warmth of friendship and good times shared? Aside from one or two memorable gifts, do you remember the rest of the pile, or just the anticipation and excitement of Christmas morning?
We've all heard the phrase "We do not remember days, we remember moments." What moments will you create this holiday season that will be happy memories later? When your loved ones reflect back on this Christmas - or Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or whatever holiday you celebrate - what will they remember?
I made a card with one of the truest sentiments I know to remind me that "it's the little things that make life BIG":
Stamps: Stampin'Up! Happy Harmony; Ink: SU! Purely Pomegranate; Papers: SU! Raspberry Tart dsp, Purely Pomegranate; Accessories/tools: Nestabilities Labels Four, Martha Stewart border punch, ribbon, vintage button
The "Featured Artist" post for last week's challenge is below this one - please scroll down to view it - thanks!
Here's Mr. Linky for your creations for this week: